Friday, October 3, 2008

Dr. Horrible insight # 3,671

Rather than write another even longer essay about Dr. Horrible, I've decided to just write down my random insights about it, and then someday combine them into one convenient paper. Or novel. Or perhaps a set of volumes. ;) Today's insight:

Goggles
I realized on the train today (yes I know I'm pathetic) that although Dr. Horrible has goggles on, they remain perched atop his head through the duration of the movie. The only time he actually puts them over his eyes is at the very end, when he changes from his white coat to the red one. A friend pointed out to the a few days ago that one of the "messages" of the movie seems to be about being who you are instead of trying to be something you're not. We see this in the fact that Penny was starting to fall for Billy as Billy, and if he had only been content to be himself, he probably would have ended up with her. Although Billy is drawn to the Dr. Horrible persona, he still holds on to a part of himself--symbolized by not actually covering his eyes with the goggles. Until the end, of course, when he loses Penny and embraces Dr. Horrible completely, perhaps in an attempt to escape the pain he feels at being somewhat responsible for her death.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I'm actually curious to know what you think happens to Billy/Horrible after the film ends. I'm not thoroughly convinced he fully embraced his villainous identity by the movie's conclusion, since as you mentioned before, the final frames have him as just Billy, in front of his camera, looking sad. I love your thoughts, by the way, and I'm glad you've kept up with your blog. :)