Monday, February 13, 2012

Surprising?

"It doesn't surprise me that I'm single. It surprises me that more people aren't."

Oh how I wish I could remember where I read this. It was an article (blog post) about how improbable it seems for two people two fall in love. About how it seems like life/dating is just an endless stream of liking people that aren't interested in you, and being pursued by people that you can't bring yourself to have romantic feelings for, even though they are great individuals and good friends. How the possibility of true, mutual love seems so remote it is nothing short of a miracle when it occurs. And yet, you look around and it seems almost everyone is in a relationship. Counterintuitive, surely? Are they "settling"? Is love really not as elusive as it seems? Are most people just lucky? Or do a small percentage of us expect significantly more from a romantic partner?

1 comment:

Thirdmango said...

This one is my favorite. (Yes I did read them all). Your thoughts on this are absolutely right. It's so strange how you pursue someone, other people pursue you, friends you love, friends you don't, and it seems everyone around you has figured it out. But from what i can tell very few people have figured it out even those who are married. It's still pretty fun though.