Friday, July 8, 2011

It's not you, blog, it's me...

Today in conversation with a friend I accidentally let it slip that I have a blog. He asked me where and I basically responded with "no way am I telling you" but due to the fact that the conversation had involved me explaining the most common google search that leads to my blog, that was pretty much a losing battle. Oops. Later I started to wonder why I had responded negatively in the first place, and I realized that it's probably because I think my blog is pretty lame. I regularly go for stretches of months without posting anything, interjected by an "OMG I had cornflakes for breakfast! Best day evar!!!!!!!!!" post, or (even worse) an "I'm sorry I haven't been posting on here like I should have been, but from now on I'm going to post EVERY DAY!!!" post. Most of my other posts are random rants about things that annoy me, commentary on ways my social skills could use improvement, or things that I like or find amusing that no one else probably does. Not exactly a Blog of the Year candidate. Not that I started this blog for the fame, I suppose.

Actually, I started this particular blog right after I moved to Denmark (the first time). I named it "Jan vs. Wild" after the TV show "Man vs. Wild" that I used to enjoy, and because I felt a lot like that trying to navigate and adjust to life in a foreign country where I didn't speak the language. It reminded me of when I was camping on the bank of the John Day river in Oregon, "helping" my aunt who was working on her masters thesis in geology by studying slackwater flood deposits. She commented to me at one point during our stay that when she came out there she had planned all the work that she would get done and how efficiently she would use her time and everything. But when it came down to it and we were out in the middle of nowhere camping for weeks on end, her first priority had become survival, and any work she got done on top of that was a bonus. I felt similarly for the first couple months in Denmark. It was all about survival. Obviously it got easier as I got used to the culture and the Danes' little quirks, and made friends and such. But the blog name survived.

I also realized I have taken down a lot of the more personal posts from my first little while in Denmark, so it's pretty "safe" for other people to read at this point. Except it's still kind of lame.

Anyway, I felt bad and didn't want my blog to think I didn't love it. We've been though some hard times together. Maybe we have drifted apart a little these past few years, but it's mostly my fault. I should write more. (I probably still won't, but maybe.)

I watched the last Space Shuttle launch (ever) today and I really want to write something about it, but I don't feel like I have my thoughts together enough to say what I want to say. Maybe tomorrow (read, I'll see you in 6 months when you can find out what I had for breakfast).

I love you, blog.

1 comment:

Mark Z said...

Found you. Tag, you're it!