Thursday, January 22, 2009

Why I love Burfelt

Tonight I shall take a few moments before going to sleep to write a dedication to Burfelt. Man, where should I even start...

Burfelt is probably the coolest person I have ever known. I say that because he is the person I feel is most like me out of everyone I have ever known. So really I just think I am really cool. hahaha. Burfelt "gets" me, which is nice. It makes communication easier. We accomplish a great deal of communication without using real words. Sometimes that makes it difficult for other people to understand us. If Burfelt and I got stranded on a desert island for 6 months, when we got rescued we would be speaking an entirely new language (with large parts of it derived from moose sounds and various references to bees). That's how bad it is. People that hang out with us probably get annoyed. We also spend large amounts of time laughing hysterically at things that only the two of us seem to find funny. I must say this is a huge improvement over my life before I knew Burfelt, when I spent large amounts of time laughing hysterically by myself... and looking like a lunatic.

It's amazing that Burfelt and I met at all, when you consider how many times we should have met and didn't for one reason or another. Seriously, they were many. Eventually the forces of nature combined, the stars aligned, and I happened to show up at his apartment with a friend of a mutual friend to watch football (soccer for all you yankees). At this point he pretty much had nothing in his apartment except a TV, an air mattress (performing the job of a couch), and a chair. Those were good times. I've heard a rumor that he's still sleeping on the air mattress, but that's completely ridiculous. Of course he would have gotten a bed by now. :P But, I digress. I wish I could say I looked into his eyes that first moment and knew that we were destined to be friends forever, but the sad truth is that I stared stupidly at him because he started talking to me in Danish and he talks fast and I didn't understand a word he was saying to me. Then he realized I was a native speaker of American, and switched to English. Then I said hi. Then I promply ignored him pretty much the rest of the evening because, hello, Yepzen was there.

Eventually Burfelt and I bonded over our mutual love for Indiana Jones and bacon, and the rest is history. We went on many excursions to the beach at 1am. Ate many pizzas. Planned many things that we never actually got around to doing (going to the deer park, visiting castles, ice skating, etc). Talked. Laughed. Watched a Trekkie documentary. Rode the Metro. I could go on, but I think I'm failing to capture the magnificance of it all.

Burfelt is a great person. If I were to make a model of a great person, I think it would resemble Burfelt in many ways. He is one of the most even-tempered people I know. I think I've only seen him mad once. And it was pretty justifiable. Burfelt is also a good friend. I don't mean he is a good friend of mine (I mean, he is, but that's not what I'm trying to say), I mean he is good at being a friend. He is kind, considerate, and he is always willing to help out a friend in need. I wish I were more like Burfelt in a lot of ways. Burfelt always assumes the best of a person and I think by so doing he encourages people to be the best they can be.

When I am with Burfelt I feel like I am a better person. And that is one of the highest compliments I can give. So, I think I'll end on that note.

No comments: