Saturday, January 24, 2009

Why I love Billy

I've not lived here very long--only about half a year--and I've known Billy almost that long. He is a pretty decent human being. Billy and I met at a camping trip soon after I moved here (back when, you know, it was still warm enough here to go camping without dying). I probably wouldn't have talked to him at all except my roommate had met him before but couldn't remember his name, so she asked me to ask him, since I didn't know him. So I obliged. Wasn't that nice of me. It was all downhill from there. haha, just kidding. Billy and I eventually ended up in an argument over who was the biggest nerd (we were both accusing each other of being more nerdy). I don't remember who "won," but if you ask him he will probably tell you that I am much more nerdy than he is. (He has considered me a tomboy ever since, and has ignored all my efforts to prove I can be girly...)

Billy is really smart. So smart, in fact, that he goes to MIT. I was immediately impressed by this fact when I found out, although I pretended not to be. I didn't even apply to MIT because I knew I wouldn't get accepted there. So that shows how much smarter he is than I am. Billy studies polymers and one time he let me come to his lab and he showed me how to make a polymer. (I like to say that "we" made it, even though I pretty much did nothing but watch.) I thought this was awesome, as I have always wanted to make a polymer ever since an internship I did as a junior. But, enough about me. Back to Billy.

Billy's interests are many and varied. For instance, he has a whole jungle of carnivorous plants in his bedroom. I once had a Venus Fly Trap for a while but it died. So I am quite impressed with his menagerie. Billy also has fish. I call some of them mine because I went with him to buy them. Billy likes to watch scifi and so do I, which is cool.

One Saturday I was at home minding my own business when Billy sent me an address and said "please meet me there at 3:30." I was kind of annoyed because he had given me no explanation, and it was freezing outside and I didn't feel like walking all over the place and I was thinking "man, it's not that easy to just meet you at some arbitrary location... some of us don't have bikes you know!" But since he said "please," I did it anyway. It turned out that the arbitrary location was the address of a person from whom he was buying a bike, which he gave me for Christmas. Then I felt guilty for being annoyed. :P

Billy is a very kind person. One thing I've noticed about him in the short time we've known each other is that he understands the concept of sacrifice. Once I was really sick and feeling miserable and I was whining to him online, and he biked all the way over to my house in the cold, just to cheer me up. I really appreciated it. He also watched Dr. Horrible with me on his big screen TV even though he hates it, which was a big sacrifice on his part. I know these are kind of lame examples, but just trust me on this.

I think it's also safe to say that Billy is popular with the ladies, since almost every time I see him there are girls flocking around him. ;) But I guess it's not hard to figure out why.

Billy quotes Dr. Horrible to me all the time, which in itself is a reason to love him. My life here is definitely better because I know him.

No comments: