Monday, December 8, 2008

look at me all grown up

I've been thinking lately about what it means to be an "adult," since at the age of 26 I think I'm well past the point where I should be considered one. And to be frank with you all, I have absolutely no clue what I'm doing. Seriously, I feel like I missed the orientation class for being a grown up. I left home at the tender age of 17, and moved across a couple states--a 10+ hour drive away--to go to college (at the time, that seemed like a long ways away from my parents, but I've only gotten farther away since). Since then, the longest I've spent back "home" with my parents was a couple of summers which I spent working. Ah, working... the joys of being responsible and financially independent. I skipped off to Venezuela for a year or so, but considering I had people to hold my hand every step of the way, that wasn't too difficult. At some point I managed to get around to graduating from college with the collection of majors/minors I had accumulated, and then I decided, hey, why not move to Denmark for a year. So off I went again. In retrospect it was a little spontaneous, though I don't regret it in the least. Now suddenly I find myself a graduate student in a big city. I sometimes wonder how I ended up here. But moreso than that, I wonder why we have to go through months of drivers training and practice in order to get a drivers license and be able to drive a car, but there is absolutely nothing required to have an "adult license" and be able to do grown up things and make important life decisions. I mean, really, a little help here would be nice... :P I'm amazed that I haven't managed to mess things up more than I so far have, considering that I feel like I'm flying by the seat of my pants every day. Seriously. Who let me out into the real world?

No comments: