Sunday, December 14, 2008

Comment nazi

Hi, my name is JM and I moderate comments. I also don't post some of them, including a recent anonymous comment I got. If you have something to say but you don't have the guts to take credit for it, exactly why do you expect me to put it on my blog? I take credit for all the things that I write here. Seriously, it's not that hard to put a name in that little field.

A while back I got into an argument with a friend about the fact that I moderate comments. He said it was lame. I said I hardly get any comments anyway, so it's practically a moot point. He seemed to think it was somehow morally wrong to moderate. So, here's my policy on comment moderation (not that any of you care): This is my blog. It's not a democracy, it's a dictatorship (though perhaps sometimes it resembles more of an anarchy). There is no "freedom of speech" here. Sorry, but it's true. I created the blog to post the things that I want, and if someone leaves a comment that annoys or offends me in any way, I feel absolutely no moral obligation to post it. Why should I? I'm not going to get all noble and be like "everyone's opinions should be expressed," because this isn't a public-opinion-expressing-forum. It's JM's blog. Where JM writes boring things about her mostly mundane life. If you want to comment and say "JM, you're a loser" I don't feel the need to let that one through--though in that case I probably would anyway because, seriously, that would be funny. hahaha. So there we go. This is my little corner of the internet, where I make the rules. [insert evil laugh here] Love it or leave it (and write a "JM, you're a loser" comment on the way out).

5 comments:

Kaylynn said...

JM, you're a loser! :) hehehehe j/k I love ya!

Anonymous said...

You are so NOT a loser.

Thirdmango said...

Morally wrong? Heh, I guess we had a miscommunication on that. I still think it's lame since you get to delete comments in the normal way anyways. Moderating comments just snubs comment communication since people have to wait for you to get on the internet. That's why I think it's lame.

JM said...

haha, that makes more sense. you have a point. I don't usually get enough comments for a conversation, anyway though. Also, I talked to someone else about comments later who was acting all holier-than-thou about the fact that she didn't moderate, and it got me annoyed. So it wasn't just our conversation that inspired this post, in case you were worried. :)

Thirdmango said...

Yeah and see when I first got into the blogging scene before there were readers there would always be a lot of comments and people discussing other people's comments. But anyone who had moderation never had that happen. With having the word verification and the ability to delete comments having moderation just never made sense to me since you get all the same perks without having to click a button every time someone comments.